Thursday, September 11, 2014

Acorn Inspiration

This week has certainly ushered in some fall weather rather quickly.  On Tuesday I was wearing a sundress and sandals, today I need a sweater and, shudder, socks!  (Seriously, it's 48 degrees now and we will only warm up to 58.)  I actually love fall... that delicious crispness in the air, the color changes, dreams of bonfires, pumpkins, apples, and acorns!  My problem is that living in Minnesota, fall is brief and means that our looong winter will soon be here.

But anyway, I digress.  The fall weather has lots of us thinking about fall themed jewelry.  There is a great post over on the Art Jewelry Elements blog today all about acorn and oak leaf jewelry and its symbolism.  Check out the whole thing (including some yummy acorn and oak art beads I'm drooling over) HERE.

The mighty oak tree, it's leaves, and acorns have had meaning and significance in many cultures and mythologies.  I think I'm most drawn to the idea of the oak tree and acorns as symbols of strength and endurance.  Also the idea that since acorns are only produced by fully mature oak trees that they stand for patience and perseverance.  

I've been doing my best in the acorn department making and squirreling away a whole bunch of acorn necklace and earring sets for Art Wander.


I just got some fun new iridescent green Swarovski Crystal pearls that I can't wait to use in an acorn and oak leaf set or two and I'm also playing around with a couple of other fall themed pieces.  We'll see how much I can get made and priced in the next two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment